ROWERS ON COOKS RIVER
1 LEVEY ST. WOLLI CREEK SYDNEY, NSW
PARKING AVAILABLE ON SITE
SAT 7 SEPTEMBER 2019
9AM - 5PM
$375 PER COUPLE
$200 SINGLE PARENT
TICKET SALES CLOSE 25 AUGUST 2019
EMOTION COACHING WORKSHOP
Is your child struggling to follow directions, share, or communicate their needs? Children experience big feelings as they move through life, and many parents find it challenging to know how best to help their child through these emotions. Are you struggling to know how to talk to your growing child? How best to connect with them emotionally?
Emotion Coaching, at its core aims to help children learn about their emotions and begin to manage them and their behaviour.
The key to helping children be successful now and into the future is helping to grow their emotional intelligence. How parents connect with their kids and the quality of their communication is pivotal to Emotion Coaching.
For more than 20 years Dr. John Gottman and his colleagues have been studying the difference between children who develop successfully to those that don’t. In their research they looked at how well children performed in school, how well they related to their peers, whether they behaved appropriately in social situations and how they related with their parents. They found that the children who had been Emotion Coached by their parents were more successful as an adult in areas such as peer friendships, employment and academic achievement.
Parents who were what Gottman termed Emotion Coaches were those who helped their children understand their own emotions and the emotions of others, they taught their children to manage their emotions in a positive way so that they could eventually regulate their own emotions and behaviour.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Understand the importance of Emotional Intelligence
- Learn how to recognize, respond to, and validate what your child is feeling
- Learn how to be an effective emotion coach using the 5 Steps of Emotion Coaching with children of any age
- Discover ways to express understanding and empathy
- Learn how to effectively set limits and problem solve with your children
BENEFITS FOR PARENTS
- Increased emotional connection with children
- Become emotionally responsive parents
BENEFITS FOR CHILDREN
- Perform better academically
- Have fewer behavioural problems
- Have fewer infectious illnesses
- Are more emotionally stable
- Are more resilient
- Can focus attention and motivate themselves
HOW EMOTION COACHING WORKS
“Some approaches to modifying child behavior fail to address the feelings beneath that behavior. It’s easy to forget that emotions are an essential survival mechanism, nature’s way of guiding us through life. They help us learn to trust our perceptions, determine our safety, understand our needs, and make meaning of our experience. Emotions are meant to be felt, and acknowledging them is crucial to well-being.
But how people feel about emotions affects how well they parent. They may love their children deeply, and yet continually dismiss or criticise certain feelings, setting the stage for their kids to become alienated from themselves and others. This is why Emotion Coaching is so important: it provides parents and caregivers with a 5-step method to support healthy social and emotional development – in childhood and beyond.”
THE FIVE STAGES OF EMOTION COACHING
1. Be aware of your child’s emotion
2. Recognise your child’s expression of emotion as a perfect moment for intimacy and teaching
3. Listen with empathy and validate your child’s feelings
4. Help your child learn to label their emotions with words
5. Set limits when you are helping your child to solve problems or deal with upsetting situations appropriately
SAT 7 SEPTEMBER 2019
9AM - 5PM
$375 PER COUPLE
$200 SINGLE PARENT
Adrian and Kerrie, your presenters, have been married since 2008, they are both Principal Psychologists, and Directors in their two psychology practices (Motivating Marriages Psychology and Motivating Minds Psychological Practice). After 10 years of unsuccessfully trying to have children Kerrie underwent a hysterectomy in the beginning of 2018. Their journey of infertility has lead Adrian and Kerrie to make a decision, in the absence of their own children, to put their psychological skills and their unused parenting hearts to good use…for your kids! It is a personal and professional mission of ours to see all children, wherever possible, raised in a home by two loving and committed parents who are equipped to teach them about their emotions and how to manage them.
It is our hope that as parents of children between the ages of 3-18 years, that you come along to the Emotion Coaching – The Heart of Parenting Workshop where you will learn the importance of emotional intelligence; how to understand and validate your child’s emotions, and where you will learn how to coach them through their emotions. Please come and join us to Learn What it is to Really Love your child.
Presented by Principal Psychologists and Co-Directors of Motivating Marriages Psychology, Adrian and Kerrie Lumbewe, workshop includes:
- 6 hours of combined presentations, psycho-educational skills training and presenter role plays demonstrating the use of Gottman Skills.
- Opportunity to practice skills with your partner in a safe and private environment
- Emotion Coaching – The Heart of Parenting, Parent Workbook, Dr. John Gottman’s book: Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child – The Heart of Parenting
- Fully catered morning, afternoon tea and lunch
Presented by Principal Psychologist and Co-Director of Motivating Marriages Psychology, Adrian Lumbewe:
A Clinical Case Study: “When Your Child is in Therapy – Emotionally Coaching and Connecting a Child with their Parent”
- Providing couples with an insight into what happens when their child enters into therapy
- Participants will be introduced to the process of therapy via clinical case study
- You will learn what happens in the assessment and treatment planning phases of of children’s therapy
- See how a therapist will begin to work with a child and their parents to assist them in navigating their child’s mental health and improving the parent child relationship through developing a childs (and parents) emotional intelligence
- The purpose of this presentation is two-fold, (1) offering participants insight into a next step, if they feel they/their child needs more individualized treatment, and (2) to dispel the fears and myths that parents have about their children, or themselves attending therapy.