Intensive Marathon Couples Therapy, using the Gottman Method for Relationship Therapy, is an increasingly popular and highly effective way for couples experiencing significant relationship distress, to stabilize their marriage and to begin to look forward towards a new, more satisfying and enriching marriage. This is a short term, intensive therapy process that is designed to assist couples in moving rapidly through their gridlocked conflict areas. This process will assist couples in de-escalating conflict in order that they can then begin to re-build
Whilst this can be a taxing emotional process for the couple, the age old adage of ‘no pain no gain’ truly resonates with this style of therapy. Extended couples therapy sessions are proven to have the benefit of reducing couples distress, resolving specific conflict issues, and increasing a sense of closeness and intimacy, leading to a stronger, more resilient and more satisfying relationship.
Your Marathon Therapy will consist of between 6-7 face-face clinical hours with your therapist per day. The days will be broken down into 3-4 sessions of between 90-120 minutes. Due to the intensity of this process, there will be regular breaks throughout
Whilst individual Marathon Therapy Sessions will vary from couple to couple, depending on the extent of their conflict issues, some of the areas you can expect to cover in your Marathon Therapy Session include:
- Conflict Management
- Strengthening Friendship
- Deepening Intimacy
- Building Relationship Resilience
- Building and Maintaining Connection
- Creating Shared Meaning
- Enhancing Passion and Romance
* A sample outline of a Marathon Therapy Session has been included at the end of this information package. Please note, your treatment may differ from this sample outline, depending upon the individual needs identified in your relationship during the assessment and treatment planning process. All Marathon Sessions will be individually tailored.
WHO MAY BENEFIT
- Couples who are experiencing significant
- Couples who want a condensed and highly focused intensive approach to specific issues.
- Couples who want to jump-start longer term couples therapy by commencing with a high intensity assessment, treatment planning and conflict de-escalation and relationship stabilisation.
- Couples coming from other national or international locations, outside of the Sutherland Shire in
WHO MAY NOT BE SUITABLE
- Couples where there is serious ongoing domestic violence
- If one, or both people in the relationship has an active drug or alcohol addiction
- One, or both partners have serious untreated mental health issues (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder). This does not include conditions that have been successfully treated in the past.
- If there is an undisclosed affair or an ongoing affair that the partner is not willing to cease.
- If either partner is currently experiencing suicidal, homicidal or serious self-harming thoughts.
Please contact us if you are unsure of whether your situation is suitable for this type of therapy. If you are assessed as unsuitable, we can recommend more appropriate treatments and/or referral for you to gain the assistance you need.
PRE-MARATHON ASSESSMENT PREPARATION
- Complete and return relationship assessment
- Complete and return individual assessment
- Complete online Relationship Check Up
Your psychologist will conduct a thorough review of your responses to these assessments and this will ensure that they have an in-depth understanding of you and your specific relationship issues prior to the commencement of your marathon sessions.
Whilst completing these assessments may feel onerous, the more information you are able to provide your therapist, the more able your therapist will be to tailor a treatment plan for you and your spouse that addresses the specific issues within your marriage.
Note: Once you and your partner have decided to undertake Marathon Therapy, it is important that you call a ‘cease fire’ on all ‘hot topics’; those ones that are causing the significant distress in your relationship. Rebuilding and improving your relationship must begin at your initial commitment to start therapy. In effect this means putting these ‘hot topics’ on hold, or shelving them, with the knowledge that we will more effectively address these issues in your Marathon Therapy. In the meantime, until you visit these conflicts again, we encourage you to begin focusing on what you want out of your relationship moving forward – after we have more effectively dealt with those
We generally recommend a follow up session within a fortnight of completing your Marathon Therapy. Thereafter it is likely that you may benefit from monthly follow up sessions until such time that you both feel confident to be able to effectively implement your new relationship skills. Follow up sessions are preferably conducted on site in our therapy rooms, however, for couples attending Marathon Therapy from outside of the local area, we can discuss arranging web conferencing follow up sessions.
Additionally/alternatively, many couples may wish to attend one of the Gottman Institutes Couples Workshops to reinforce their learning and to consolidate their therapeutic gains. The Seven Principles that Make Marriage Work and The Bringing the Baby Home Workshops are facilitated by Motivating Marriages and you can access information about these workshops on our website. Additionally, the Art and Science of Love is another Gottman Workshop you may benefit from. Please speak with your therapist for further information and referral.
FEES AND CANCELLATIONS
$4000 – to be paid in full when booking your Marathon Therapy.
- Thorough Pre-marathon assessment, including, if required telephone consultation to clarify any issues before commencing treatment.
- Two consecutive intensive treatment days of 6-7 hours duration per day.
- Client resource pack and toolkit.
Due to the significant amount of time your therapist will need to allocate for your Marathon session there is a 3 week cancellation policy in place.
Marathon Therapy sessions will be conducted on site at the combined premises of Motivating Marriages Psychology/Motivating Minds Psychological Practice. 1/6 Preston Avenue, Engadine NSW 2233.
There may be occasion where this location is unavailable due to overbooking of existing clients. If this is the case, you will be notified at your time of booking. MMPP has arrangements in place for the use of other suitable off site premises within the Sutherland Shire local area.
For couples from out of state or residing internationally, please contact us via email to discuss therapist fly in options should travelling be an issue
In order to make the most out of your Marathon Therapy experience we encourage all couples to truly carve out this time to work on their relationship. With this commitment to rebuilding your relationship in mind, we recommend, where possible:
- To arrange for overnight child minding
- An overnight stay close to your therapy sessions
- A date night, including dinner
After completion of your Marathon Therapy you will receive resource pack that will consist of:
- Gottman Research Education you received in your Marathon Therapy
- Toolkit of skills you learnt in your therapy
- Links to Gottman apps and electronic resources that will assist you in continuing to strengthen your relationship
APPLICATIONS AND BOOKINGS
Applications for Marathon Therapy are currently open. Please complete our online application form. It is necessary that both partners are aware of, consent to, and/or contribute to the completion of the initial application form.
Once received, all applications will be reviewed by Adrian and Kerrie and our administration team will contact you to advise of your suitability, and where suitable, to book your marathon session, and to commence your pre-marathon assessment.
PRIOR TO YOUR SESSION
Adrian or Kerrie will conduct a thorough review of your assessment information and will be in touch with one, or both of you within two business days of receiving your assessment information and results. This phone contact will provide a brief opportunity to meet with your therapist via phone, and to clarify any issues prior the commencement marathon therapy.